Friday, November 2, 2007

Hat Gone Bad! (a bit like girls gone wild, but with more fabric)

Tick tock.


I'm never gonna make it in time, however it's amazing how well drinking and felting time go together. Observe:


That's right, felted perfectly.









Now observe:
Yeah, a bit too much.
To add to the chaos there was a piece of paper included in the wash. I suppose one of my co-workers thought it kind to include a note with felting tips. Like I said, I'm felting, therefore I'm drinking, so blame is placed entirely on aforementioned co-workers. The paper is not my errant grocery list, or meeting notes, or what have you. It theirs. They are at fault (& I'm not drinking enough because if I was this wouldn't matter).
So, the gorgeous Shibui Merino Kid "Madonna-of-the-Guiltier-period" bra-turned-bag is a little smaller than calculations originally indicated. No matter, it's a bag. An evening bag mind you, not the utilitarian yet highly chic version originally envisioned bag, but a bag of such super-cuteness even handles, the mainstay of all bags, seem oafish and oversize next to such fulled beauty.
Once again, I ask you to observe:

Yeah, I thought so too. It still looks a bit too "Madonna-of-the-Guiltier-period".
Because this was a hat-gone-bad that I was trying to resurrect for someone else, it's a wash.

The good news is felting isn't like surgery, it's more like Frankenstein or "Young Frankenstein". You can resurrect felt from the dead. I highly recommend Malabrigo and Blue-faced Leicester for their depth of color and sheer buttery softness. If you want a color extravaganza Cascade220, Hifa, and Jamieson's are for you. If it's texture and sheen that you like try Lamb's Pride, Merino Kid, or Baby Alpaca DK. I can pick up stitches, add on, throw it in the wash, and create something beautiful. I can also create a larger version of fugly, but I'm attempting optimism right now.

Go forth! De-tribble your stash, Macgyver them together with something fresh and new so you can create your own creature, er bag, uh scarf... whatever, just hurry.

No comments: