Tuesday, November 11, 2008

photographs under halogen

I figured that I better dash any hopes that you, beloved reader, might have had for decent photography immediately. The workshops with Miriam Felton this weekend were fantastic, the pictures of said workshops are significantly less so.

Anyway. I took the Introduction to Lace Design class and it was completely worth sitting for six hours, charting lace on teeny-tiny graph paper. I think we all learned new tips and tricks that will come in very handy with future projects.

But, before I begin to wax eloquent (trans. "bore you to tears"), I thought I might mention Sandy's upcoming Surprise Ornament workshop.

mystery

Tomorrow night (Nov. 12), 6:30 - 8:30pm, participants will knit one of three mystery Christmas ornament patterns and take home the kits for another two. The yarn above is used in the ornament I designed for the class. We still have a couple of spots left, if you want to make a special holiday gift for a friend or family member. Or, if you just want three really cool handknit Christmas tree ornaments for your own tree.

Now back to the lace, and bad halogen/ flourescent lighting photos:

early-birds

We had quite a few early birds. They (well, the whole class) were treated to a display of many of Miriam's designs, which were arranged around the room for inspiration.

Once everyone had arrived and imbibed some caffeine, we were given several sheets of graph paper and blank charts. We were instructed to choose a lace motif (or two...) that we wanted to use:

getting-started.ORF

Between everyone in the class, I think we had nearly every book on lace, stitch patterns and designing there is for knitters. Books were being passed left and right, charts were being diligently reworked and we were all getting writer's cramp.

By the end of the workshop, I had two charts (for two different shawls, I'm ADD). Here's the crazier chart I created:

charting

Miriam seemed quite impressed with my display of lunacy. I forgot to get permission from the other students, so we won't be showing their charts today.

Next came the swatching:

swatching

Where we all tried out the first few rows of our individual designs and did one of many things: rip (I did that twice), change projects to cool down, switch lace yarns (again, twice), continue on with knitting, or...rechart. It was kind of interesting to see how people reacted to their own swatches.

All in all, I think everyone enjoyed the class and left happy with their designs. I hope so, anyway. I can't wait to see if all the participants finish their projects or go on to design something else.

And, with that little narrative, I am leaving you to work on the upcoming newsletter. Ooh, and on Thursday, maybe we'll have a photo or two of our mystery ornaments...

No comments: