Thursday, September 24, 2009

Fashionknitsta Thursday: 9/24/09

It's Thursday, which means this is the first post in what will be a weekly column focusing on discovering some great fashion-forward knit designs and finding realistic ways to make them yourself. I'm not exactly sure yet what shape this blog will ultimately take, but I can promise it will be fun.

So to begin, the leaves are changing and the temperatures are cooling, which means fall is upon us and, I don't know about you, but this season I'm seriously obsessed with knee socks.

All summer I have been noticing them on some of my favorite style blogs and, with the Portland climate, these socks are so practical. Under boots, with flats, all the time. I think dresses are coming back in a big big way and this trend works out so perfectly with my new favorite accessory. Ever since the first time I laid eyes on Cookie A's Milicent Sock pattern I have been in love with it and I think now is the perfect time to take it on.

I'm definitely going to do them in Shibui Sock, (although wouldn't they be amazing in Isager Alpaca 2?) but now the problem is color. Mulberry? Midnight? Keep it classic with Ivory? Oh, how to choose?! I suppose it's good that Cookie A's Rhiannon Pattern is also pretty irresistible.

Another piece I'm loving for fall is the peplum sweater. I've seen some really cute ones out there like this one from Marc by Marc Jacobs:

And now for the DIY version. I love this pattern Beatrix from Kim Hargreaves book Thrown Together, done in Rowan Felted Tweed (a yarn I just so happen to have been itching to work with):

We just got this book back in stock, though unfortunately I don't think it's made it to the website yet.

Another version I love is The Ballerina Wrap Jacket by Mari Lynn Patrick in the Fall 09 issue of Vogue Knitting. It's a little trendier, a little less equestrian, but I really love the length. This one is done with Koigu Merino Kersti, but I would absolutely love to see it in ShibuiKnits Baby Alpaca DK.

I could spend all day doing this, but there are orders to attend to, so one last piece. I saw this necklace by Muntedkowhai on a blog, and I think it is such a great idea and it would be so easy to make your own. It is very reminiscent of the jewelry in Knot (which we are currently out of, but I wish would finally arrive from Japan). I think, well, any Habu yarn really would be wonderful for these but I'm itching to try it in the Cotton Gima or the Konyaku Root Sizing Silk:

and detail shot:

I found this pattern for a bookmark by Crochetroo (free on Ravelry), which I think would be amazing adapted into a necklace:

... there are more on her blog here.

I wish everyone a good weekend, and check in next Thursday for more fashion inspiration. Until then, stay chic blogfans!

-Lindsay

No comments: