Thursday, December 3, 2009

Fashionknitsta Thursday: 12/3/09

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Here at Knit Purl the holiday season is in full swing making me (and I hope all of you!) feel extra inspired. Thanks to a long weekend of pursuing the internet from bed, I have tons of things to share with all of you on this lovely Thursday.

The first thing I have to share is some wonderful photos of the "Fashion Collective" event that took place at the Armory on October 12th. Artist and costume designer for Portland Center Stage, Fuschia Lin, showed a retrospective of her work from 1999 to present. We first got word of this event when Fuschia commissioned one of our lovely customers, Laura, to knit a custom pair of toe socks for one of her designs. Knit with Koigu KPM Solid color 1150 and Shibui Silk Cloud in Blossom held together, these really turned out to be a wonderful addition to the collection.


Here is a link to a review of the show from the Portland Mercury by Marjorie Skinner. In addition to her work for Portland Center Stage, Fuschia has designed costumes for Bjork and Karen O., has sold her designs in Paris Boutiques, and has been featured in a number of magazines making her a real treasure for Portland. Thank you so much for sharing these with us, Fuschia!

Last week while visiting my parents I found the cutest Fair Isle Cowl that I am still kicking myself for not taking a photo of. It's from H&M which unfortunately does not have an online store, so I'm still working on tracking down a picture of one. Anyway, I have blogged about several cowls in the past, but it had really never occured to me to mix that trend with the comeback Fair Isle patterns are making right now. I took my search to Etsy and, of course, found some wonderful things. My favorite are the designs from Elf518's shop including the pattern for this absolutely adorable owl cowl:

She doesn't have a pattern for this one, but I really love it and couldn't not share it:

Ok, so I know those really aren't very traditional, so if you are looking for a more classic I also found a great pattern on Ravelry for only $3. Alicia's Fair Isle Cowl by Sheila Joynes:

This one is much more along the lines of the one I saw, I think it would be really nice (and quick!) out of the Malabrigo Worsted Merino in Tuareg with Sunset as the accent, oohhh or the Madelinetosh Tosh Merino...there really are a lot of options with this one. I shall have to ponder.

Next on the agenda today is a really fantastic Etsy store, Spinthread, that our fabulous felting teacher, LeBrie Rich, showed me. The piece she was calling to my attention were these super funky Pom Pom Neck Huggers:

Really fun (and really easy to make!) these accessories would be a great conversation piece as well as keep you nice and toasty. Now, these are really neat, but the embroidered jewelry she has really caught my eye:


Hand embroidered and backed with lace, these geometric necklaces are such a beautiful and unique take on the floral and gem bib necklaces we have been seeing so much of lately. In addition to the necklaces she also has brooches and earrings in the same style, definitely a shop worth checking out.

There is so much more I want to share with you all today (for example, knit plankton!), but shipping calls and I shall have to save them til next week. Hope everyone has a lovely (and warm!) weekend ahead of them, stay tuned for next Thursday's edition of Fashionknitsta and until then, stay chic, blogfans!

-Lindsay

No comments: