Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Itchy fingers?

My goodness, this is going to be a busy week.  We have a Sock Club package going out (which is awesome, I can't deny it) and a humongous yarn crawl hitting our fair city on Saturday and Sunday.  But, first, I have two worthy causes I want to bring to your attention:
  • Handknits for Hard Knock Kids (deadline to donate: January 15, 2010). Last time I checked, we had 48lbs of clothing and it'd be simply fantastic if we could collect 50 lbs in total! We still have a couple of days left. That's totally enough time to whip up a child-sized hat or two (which is my goal for this week)... I'm afraid my attempt to knit mittens hasn't worked out too well, but I shall NOT be discouraged!  And neither should you.  If you've been working on a donation for our Hard Knock Kids and won't make the deadline, let us know and we'll run it over to the Oregon Foster Care office when you're ready!


  • Handknits for Tika (deadline: open-ended for now). Farrah (blogfans should know Farrah) is collecting handknit chemo caps and other "comfort" items for Martika, a 12-year-old girl she mentors. Tika has been diagnosed with cancer and will be spending the next four to six months undergoing chemotherapy treatments and lengthy hospital stays.  We'll also be collecting on Farrah's behalf, so feel free to send handknits to us and we'll make sure they get to Farrah. 
    (how can you say 'no' to this face, right?)

    If you're interested in donating, Tika's favorite colors are purple and pink (respectively) and she's not allergic to any fibers we know of. I would (humbly) suggest that all donations be machine-washable (just like for our Hard Knock Kids), because of the stressful situation the family is in. Also, it's important to know that Tika will be shaving her head soon and chemo caps made for her shouldn't measure above 18" in circumference.  I've done a quick survey on ravelry and found several suitable children's "chemo cap" patterns*:




  • Or, for a change, you can make Tika a cute and cuddly handknit toy to hold while in the hospital!  (I foresee a run on Danger Crafts patterns...)
  • Lastly, how about knitting a square for Tika's Patchwork Blanket? It has to measure 6" x 6", worked at 20 stitches and 28 rows = 4 inches in St st. (Purple and pink are preferred.)  This is a quick knit and can be done with stash yarn in an hour or less.
I'll definitely be making Tika a "The Republic" hat and a toy or two (Sammy the Sock Monster has caught my eye and heart...), plus a square (or two, they're quick!) for her blankie. Maybe I'll even have (some of) them done in time for next week's post (which will be next Wednesday, btw).  The yarn is bought and wound, too, so I have no excuse!

And now that I've twanged your heartstrings enough, onto the yarn crawliness.  If you should have a reason to visit us this weekend, please do not be surprised if you are met with the sight of dozens of knitters literally jammed into our tiny downtown store.  Seriously.  Last year was... wow.  As far as we've been told, there will be 150 knitters swarming in downtown PDX (expect to see lots of knitting on the MAX and Streetcar!), that will be visiting LYSes in smaller groups.  Just don't say we didn't warn you.  Right now, I have a short list of  upcoming Portland Yarn Crawls:
And we'll probably have a few more to add to that list in the coming weeks.  

Next, have you read the most recent Newsletter?  Do you know about our Cable Mania KAL & the Cable Limerick Challenge?  As of this afternoon, we have rather shockingly, actually, 14 entrants and 23 limericks so far!  Apparently quite a few of our Newsletter subcribers are poetry fans.  Or they just really want a Cabled Rib Wrap kit.  It could go either way, I'm sure.

If you're feeling poetically inclined, we'll be accepting entries through January 18th (yes, MLK Jr Day), so go and put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard.

Finally, don't forget that the Gratis Knits deadline is this Friday, peeps!  We've raised the honorarium to $100 in store credit (which can be used online, in the store, or over the phone - we're that easy) and are looking for a fun winter pattern.  Wristlets or a hat would be nice.  It doesn't have to be complicated.  Just a pattern that uses a yarn we carry (currently) and is something people will want to make.  (Like I said, we're easy)  If you have any questions, feel free to email us.

I'm afraid that's everything of note.  I have no new staff projects (well, one or two that are Top Secret, but that's something else entirely), though I swear we will have some by next week.  Come heck or high water!  Until then, why don't try your hand at writing a limerick or pattern?  Or knitting a chemo cap?  At least you won't be bored ;)

*It's so sad that if you search "child chemo cap" more than a dozen patterns pop up :(

1 comment:

Farrah said...

Thank you so much for advertising this project ladies! I have been so touched by how supportive the knitting community has been. :) I promise to supply a steady submission of photos as I give Tika her gifts. :)